Q: Why is there a $20 per family PTO fee each year?
A: Family cost helps at Heritage Academy:
School administration diligently strives to keep costs down and does not randomly pass expenses on to families. To help you plan better, here is a list of possible family costs at Heritage:
- Classes where the cost to run the class needs to be offset by the scholars who are participating. Class fees are used for facility rental for practice, games and performances, for costumes and team uniforms, also consumable supplies used by scholars.
- School uniforms and approved PE clothes and outerwear instead of other school clothes.
- Some sports will require you to have specialized equipment, this information can be found on the applicable class syllabus. Some team sports will require an admission fee to games.
- Some fine arts classes will require specialized equipment and some end of semester fine arts performances will require an admission fee. Teachers will make information available.
- History and Science Tours offered are encouraged but entirely optional at Heritage. They are the Independence/Liberty Tour (for 11th and 12th graders only), Science Tour (for 9th and 10th graders only), and Jr. High History Tour (for 7th and 8th graders only).
- The Music Department plans a Trip for its audition groups.
- PTO asks $20.00 per family per school year.
- Yearbooks are optional, they can be bought this year for $65.00.
Heritage will not ask you to participate in fundraisers.
The following are possible ways for families and scholars to fund required class fees and optional tours and trips.
- Raise money through ECA Tax Credits
- On your own
- Through “Heroes Help Wanted” a PTO resource coming online soon!
Meanwhile, we’ve brainstormed income ideas that kids are good at!
- Yard work- weeding, mowing, laying pavers, moving debris, etc.
- Respite- Non-medical, i.e. keeping someone company such as the elderly or special needs kids.
- Cleaning Buddy- homes, garages, attics, windows, BBQ grills, pool cleaning, car detailing/cleaning
- Computer help- teach skills, find and set up apps, help setting up a computer
- Making and selling items such as cookies, salsa, banners, etc.
- Party Buddy- Children’s parties or other. Organizing, leading games, character impersonations
- Pet sitting
- Dog walking
This help was put together by Heritage Academy Mesa PTO.
(If there is a family hardship that will affect your scholar, whether academically or financially, it is suggested that you schedule an interview with Dr. Moore, the Principal, so he can be aware of your situation. Sometimes there are resources at the school parents are unaware of that he could connect you with that might help.)
The Heritage Academy Mesa Parent Teacher Organization exists to:
- increase and facilitate communications and cooperation between the home and the school,
- to assist teachers with scholar activities outside the classroom, and
- to provide a forum for discussion for any student and school related issues.
The format of our monthly meetings: First hour a topic of interest to parents and teachers, with the last half hour devoted to Board business. (7-8:30 pm) Schedule of Topics of first semester:
- August 15th Board meeting- Dress Code; including why have one, what it is, and how it will be enforced.
- September 19th-PTO committees with the emphasis on Academic, Fine Arts and Sports Committees and how we can best help teachers and coaches this year.
- October 17th- Academics, including course selection and College Coaching.
- November 21st-Lunch considerations. Looking for ways to improve lunch.
Please watch for upcoming topics that interest you or just come when convenient. We hope you will feel that coming to the PTO meetings are well worth your time.
PTO meetings are held the third Tuesday of every school month (except December).
Find more information under the Parent Tab on the school website or the informal closed Facebook Group under Heritage Academy, Inc. Or contact us at email@example.com.
- Our PTO has no carnival! No big fundraisers! (the school is signed up for Fry’s rewards and others too, but the PTO has no major fundraisers that we will ask parents or teachers to support.)
- We have a $20.00 per family, beginning of the school year payment, as a yearly dues, period. As a parent or teacher you are automatically a part of PTO at Heritage. Thank you for contributing!
- PTO Board members are parents or teachers at Heritage Academy who are elected yearly in April and their primary responsibility is to chair or co-chair one of the PTO committees. Using their leadership, all parents and teachers are invited to support the year’s initiatives, how and when they are able.